|POSITION TITLE: Garden Center Worker
DEPARTMENT: SAAE/Garden Center
SUPERVISOR: Garden Center Manager
Under direct supervision of the Garden Center Manager, provides superior service greeting customers , answering plant related questions, and selling plants. Operation of Cash Register and lifting at least 50lbs is a must. Assists in watering, weeding, general plant maintenance, pruning, and overall plant care. *NOTE: Job announcement will be initially opened to Pueblo members for a period of five (5) working days.*
(Application submitted after 4pm on day of closure will not be processed)
This list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only of the tasks performed by this position and is not all-inclusive. Duration: March 1, 2020-Sept. 30, 2020.
This list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only of the tasks performed by this position and is not all-inclusive.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- •Preforms top quality customer service, assists with loading soils and plants, answering plant questions, and going above and beyond to make sure customers are helped as needed.
- •Operation of cash register.
- •Lifting and loading bagged product as well as and other related materials of 50lbs.
- * Learning and knowing about the plants and their requirements (i.e., water, sun, soils,fertilizers, cold hardiness, growth habit and overall size, etc.) that are sold to ensure the customer gets the information that is needed to care for these plants properly.
- •Maintains upkeep of area including but not limited to weeding, trash control, and organizing plant material.
- •Integrated pest management (Monitoring plants for insect and other plant related problems), along with informing Garden Center Manager of where these problems are located.
- •Contributes to a team effort and accomplishes related tasks as required.
- •Performs other duties as required.
- High School Diploma or GED plus one year Garden Center or Nursery work experience is required as well as some knowledge about plants, i.e. Perennials, Annuals Trees, and Shrubs; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must possess and maintain a valid New Mexico driver’s license.
Knowledge, Abilities, Skills, and Certifications:
- •Knowledge of department organization, functions, objectives, policies and procedures.
- •Knowledge of retail sales.
- •Knowledge of herbaceous and woody plant species endemic to New Mexico and beyond.
- •Ability to exercise initiative and independent judgment.
- •Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- •Ability to work extended hours and various work schedules.
- •Ability to work with the public and provide excellent customer service.
- •Ability to communicate efficiently and effectively both verbally and in writing.
- •Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with the individuals of varying social and cultural backgrounds.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly is required to sit; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk. The employee occasionally is required to stand; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Work is regularly performed outdoors where exposure to natural weather conditions can vary greatly from day to day and can suddenly change. Wind, Dust, Rain, Snow, Hail, Sun are among some of those conditions that will be encountered. Prolonged standing and walking may be on uneven surfaces or unstable ground. Situations where the use of safety-toe shoes, safety goggles, gloves, or protective face shields may occur. Work inside the building will be performed as needed.